Friday, January 28, 2005

A girl can use this once in a while

Annual leave...

Yes, THE golden 14 days of the year in a working person's life. Days when you can just sit on your big fat ass and do nothing all day long. Or enjoy a nice mocktail on a hot day like this. Spring out in the sun like Garfield and say... "Life is beautiful".

Back to reality, feel the bloody gravity.

I'm on my so-called study leave. Hey, I did do a wee bit of it, in the morning and just before I got hooked up on the virtual world. I am so glad for this very day. I could make a toast and praise everyone, like today will last forever.

I think I need this every now and then. It is a pity that we can only have 14 days of annual leave. In the UK, you can take the whole summer out just to go travelling. That is when stupid uni students will try sooo hard to apply for the summer placements. I was one of them, unfortunately, I never qualify.

We are deprived in many ways. I have been doing my bit of research on the government myself, all that "rancangan malaysia" shet. This is what Malaysia lack in:

We concentrate on eliminating poverty, way to go Malaysia! By providing basic neccessities, yada-yada. But the truth is, we never find quality living, for everyone to enjoy. Also, we cant hope to get that privilege because our currency depends a whole lot on the performance of other currencies, extremely powerful ones. We trade with the reference to the USD. And have you noticed how many entertaining elements, nice and fancy things comes from somewhere else, nowadays, they even import DJs, like Zouk imports the Gatecrasher from Sheffield to spin for us, not like they play a great boom, but get paid a bomb for it.

Back to the quality living issue...

I was living in the UK, with only 300 quids to spare for food, fag and entertainment, meaning shopping and stuf. But I was not once deprived. I bought Top Shop merchandise, from jeans to thong to wat not (eheheheh), I went shopping for groceries at Tesco and not Aldis. I went clubbing every weekend. Understand that dancing was my relief valve for my pressure body. I was under great stress during my third year. I bought ciggies, but I ate home made food. Sherrie used to cook for me, I'd do the washing up. Fair square. I bought original CDs, went to the movies to enjoy the good ones. Had the latest handphone during that time. Now, I cant even afford to buy a new one!

Picture this: I worked in a supermarket as a part time retail assitant. Get paid GBP 4.20 per hour (macam RM 4.20 per hour here). Maximum allowed hours for a student: 20 hrs per week
Normally do 10-20 hours a week. Average pay for a week: GBP 60

Top Shop jeans: 30 quids
Top Shop t-shirt: 10 quids
Samsung true eye: 100 quids ONLY!!
Club entrance before 10pm: Free!
After 10 : 5 pounds max for a premier club with 3 different rooms playing 3 different song genre
CDs: 12 pounds max
Movie entrance: 2.99 pounds for students
Drinks at club: 3 pounds max unless you buy wine lainlar

My dream jaguar car: 32 000 pounds
My dream jaguar s-type in malaysia: half a million ringgit?!

Lavish lifestyle for someone who has only 300bucks in the pocket for the month ait? Well, if you have 300 bucks in Malaysia, you can dream on to think if it will take you as far as retaining youself for 2 weeks if you were to adopt that sort of lifestyle.

But you dont get many Jags on the road in the UK, though it is considerably cheap. One reason, if you are NOT self-employed, you can dream on, the idea of a government that allows everyone to enjoy Quality Living, they dont encourage the rich to get richer. The highest taxation rate there is 40% whereas, in Malaysia the highest taxation rate on income goes up to 28%. But I would agree to pay 40% to have the Quality living I was once having back then in the UK.

There will be many richies I know out there who would disagree with my idea. Because this issue does not benefit them in anyway. However, we, Malaysia is doing better than countries like India and Indonesia, where the corruption rate is so high, you have to pay to get yourself a job. At least we are above that. And I am glad for us. Maybe with someday, I will be able to do something about this. Who knows...

Another I miss back in the UK... my pampering sessions, when I would get a bottle of Imperial Leather Bath Bubbles, the mango one. Let the water run in the bath tub, pour one third of the bath liquid and wait for the bubbles to rise.

Then climb into the tub for a whole one hour, talking to a friend on the my samsung (usually Sakinah), with my ciggie on the other hand.. just enjoying the moment. Call me posh, yea whatever.. but trust me, after a whole day or mind cracking in class and feet aching from standing too long at the supermarket till, that very one hour in the bath tub feels more than HEAVEN for me.