Friday, June 10, 2005

The ATTACK shows no mercy

I visited a friend from 2 years back, at the hospital last nite. The message came from an unknown number which said something like this:

"Rekajon masuk ICU. Kena heart attack. Ada kat SMC."

I was stunned. He was only about 35. With three lil kids. The youngest was only one. I remembered how Sherrie and I would look after Danish, who was the eldest and Dania, who was a baby then. I remembered how easy it was to pacify the two of them. The magic word was ICE-CREAM.

I did not have the 'thing' I have for kids then, when I was studying in the UK. But somehow, I saw Sherrie having fun babysitting, so I joined her, along with Darren. It was not so bad.

Besides, Jon and Ina (his wife) were really nice people. Eventhough they were not really THAT old, I somehow called abg jon 'uncle'. It was out of respect that I addressed him so, despite the fact that he was a student like me, pursuing his degree. The respect I had for Jon and Ina was the respect I would give to my aunts and uncles. The fact that he's married and with kids did change things. Both of them played the 'father' and 'mother' figure to many of us, Birm students.

And hence, I decided to immediately drive down to Selangor Medic Centre straight after work along with Pres to visit him. Seeing him lay like that there with a countless strings of tubes wired up on him gave me the chills. So young... how come? It was the smoking they said.

Sherrie and Amir was there too. Sam and Anis. I pray and do hope things get better for him. I also do hope that kak Ina stay strong. She was there for me when I broke up with the unscrupulous-no-good-two-timing-now-working-in-BATA boyfriend. And it did mean a whole lot to me, then.

And Pres is thinking of applying for insurance immediately. Because he is one hellavu heavy smoker. And I need to QUIT. Smoking. QUIT SMOKING.

There, I said it.