Tuesday, March 01, 2005

It's in the eyes

Sherrie, Pres and I decided to go for a movie. We decided to go for a Yasmin Ahmad. I planned on it months ago after knowing that she made great movies.

Sepet was brilliant. It was not another typical Malay movie, where everyone go shallow and cry and all mellow. And that is it. A typical Yusof Haslam gibberish.

Yasmin Ahmad manage to captivate her audience, especially me to the point I was having mixed feelings. I laughed throughout the movie, yet I cried non stop afterwards.

I eve learnt 2 great lessons from it. One, love never know its faces. Two, when you love someone, you ought to tell it at least.

At the end of the show, people were clapping. One scenario I have never ever experienced in a cinema. I attended PGL, nothing compared to Sepet. Orked, the star of the movie had an interesting character. She was smart, cute and brave, she fight with shallow boys and tell them off. It somehow reminded me of me. And she never lost touch of the Malay culture, eventhough she was dating a chinese guy, spoke flawless english and very intellectual. Odd for a 17 year old gal I must say. But she was always in baju kurung or kemban kain batik!

It clearly exhibited the stupid and shallow malay guys in the movie as well. Exactly how I feel about our boys these days. I am exempting Pres out of my accusition here, he's exceptional my pres boi. He signifies brilliance. But that was what I felt about the malay boys these days, especially when I was out on a hunt about a year ago. HEhehehe...

I must say that I have to after this, find for Rabun, her first movie, also anticipate for Gubra her up coming.

All I have to say is, Yasmin, I raise my hats for you.

Idup Malay movies, you go girl!

P/S: Do check out: www.yasminthestoryteller.blogspot.com for some insights posted by Yasmin Ahmad herself