Monday, May 22, 2006

Yankee Doodle left its mark

I today came across my doodling from my First year Heat Transfer notes while using it for work today (oh yes, my old battered notes came to its use, finally – besides the fact that they made my grades)

Amused, I blushed whilst reading the things I wrote. The things... I started writing way back then, from the day one I learnt about the secret book aka the Black book of mine. Way before anyone knew we’d have a private yet public journal – weblog.

I used to have this close friend back in my uni days who’d go for lectures not for the sake of learning but more for the fact that we’d have the opportunity to write little notes and giggle to ourselves at the back of the class.

Those were the days when I had just found my first love. The days where my notes will be filled with doodling of his name left, right, centre of the paper. The days when I was naïve and so full of anticipation of the ‘unknown’ future. Where anything goes. When I was careless yet conscious. You remember those days??

Being amused and ashamed to myself was one thing. Having your boss go through it and stumble on them by accident is another.

Yes, he did. But somehow, I manage to sorta pull it away from him. What you expect me to do? Say “oh that was how I was during lectures. I never listened, I had my own lecture going on back then – about boys”

However, I shared this valuable gibberish with another colleague of mine who studied at UMIST. He admitted that he was too, like me, suka sangat conteng lecture notes dgn benda yg takdak kena mengena dgn lecture. He was telling me how he’d draw the Malaysian flag accompanied with an airplane by its side on his notes. I agreed softly in my heart – been there, done that.

Another thing I realized was how patronized and ONE all of us were back then. We were all like one big family, the Asian students who studied overseas. It did not matter if we were from Indonesia, Singapore or back home, we were all so united. It was hard to concentrate on studies while trying so hard to forget that my heart was left miles and miles away.

Somehow, I made it! Yeay, proud lil me.

Things at work have been going well. I am running on the track to where I’ve always wanted to get myself to.

But still…

That does not take away the fact how the nonsense (back then) I wrote down on my lecture notes actually meant a lot to me today – after five long years.