Saturday, June 25, 2005

Once upon a time in Egypt


I climbed Mount Sinai of Egypt once, about four years back. Just to watch sunrise. At the same time to experience the spiritual experience Jesus felt when he ask for God's help to save his people the Jews. But of course, I was no Jesus, hence, I went for the sunrise.

We were at the foot of the mountain at 2am, and after about four hours of climbing we finally reached the mount top. I still have pictures captured as though I had the sun rising on my palms then.

The sight of sunrise was so beautiful, it was a shame, I had not anyone special then, to share this exotic of a sight with. I swear, at that point, if anyone, just even a pauper on that hill popped me THE question, I'd say 'yes' without a doubt. Yes, I was hopelessly romantic, and I believe I am still. On that hill, I manage to get into the very cave Jesus 'bermunajat' (had his intimate contact) with God. And in that lil cave, I was told that if I made a prayer, it will come true. And so, along with Sherrie and Anis, we each went into the cave, one by one to make our prayer.

Yesterday, Pres and I sat by a fountain at just about 7pm. Hand in hand. We sat quietly. Pres clossed his eyes because we both noticed, the fountain was set, so that you will hear the sound of hiss and burst. As if it were the ocean hitting the shore, and back again into the ocean. Back and forth, back and forth. If you closed your eyes, you will think you are, indeed sitting by the beach, only with the lack of stale, salty scent of the sea lingering.

As he had his eyes closed , I opened mine. I didnt want to seem weird. Suddenly, I had a flashback. The thought of Mt. Sinai came into my mind, how I longed to have 'that' moment with someone, then.. Only then did it hit me, I am here, sitting with the man I hoped for. The lil prayer to God I made. Hand in hand. Quiet. Both of us. Entertaining though. Even though we were both not talking. It is THE moment. It must be.

It was no Mt. Sinai of exotic Egypt. Neither it was a romantic sunrise.

It was just a plain fountain.
At 7pm
In KLCC (with yuppies running around)
There was no sunset (even)

It was just you and me.
Hand in hand.
Quiet.
Enjoying each other's company.

In that silence, I smiled, alone to myself. By then, Pres has opened his eyes. He looked at me, puzzled. That face asked only one question. Like I said, I can almost hear his thoughts speak to me at times. "Why are you smiling?" I need not hear it, I knew. I just said..

"Sometime ago, when you weren't around, I have hoped for a moment like this one."

It was hopelessly romantic.

Like Chucky said in his book "The Diary":
What you do not understand, you can make mean anything.

Truth is, my smile signifies my being blessful to God yesterday.

My prayer in that cave.
The prayer was destined to be answered. To be real.
Just like you, Pres.

Destined and real.